Acrylic Resist Etching
Non-Toxic Printmaking Residency – Acrylic Resist Etching
At present this is available between Sep and May so not during the NZ winter months (June, July, August). Please note the discounted accommodation rate can only be offered between April and October.
Workshops are tailored to suit individual requirements and workshop days can be staggered within the artist’s stay.
For example: A 5-day workshop – intensive professional development is NZ$1800.00 ($360.00 per day) inclusive of materials. This can be staggered to run over a two-week period or tailored to suit. Shorter workshops can be arranged on a per day basis.
(Accommodation costs as self- directed residency above). Workshops from 10 am – 4pm.
Acrylic Resist Etching – intensive workshops with Mark Graver at the Wharepuke Print Studio.
Suitable for artist/printmakers, tutors etc. wishing to learn or further develop acrylic resist etching techniques. While no prior experience of acrylic resists is necessary an understanding of basic etching techniques is an advantage.
Mark Graver is an award-winning artist/printmaker, tutor international curator and author the Printmaking Handbook Non-Toxic Printmaking (2011) London, A&C Black. His work is held in many public collections around the world including the V&A Museum, London, The Ashmolean Museum, Oxford UK, the Art Gallery of Ballarat, Australia, Tasmanian Museum & Art Gallery, Hobart, Australia, the National Gallery of Taiwan, Guandong Museum of Art, China, Penang State Art Gallery and in Mexico, Portugal, Malaysia, Turkey and NZ.
As an example, a 5-day Acrylic Resist Etching workshop staggered to run over a two-week period could cover:
- Copper Etching – hard resist, soft resist, acrylic resist aquatint
- Aluminium Etching – hard resist, lift ground etching
- Experimental resists – destruction grounds, wash resists etc.
- Preparation of Edinburgh Etch for copper
- Preparation of Copper Sulphate/Salt solution for Aluminium etching
- Printing with Akua water based inks
- Multi plate printing/chine-collé
- Instruction and advice on setting up a printmaking studio for Acrylic Resist Etching.
Collaborative Printmaking Residency
Workshop collaboration $400.00 per day. Materials (paper, metal) at cost – inks, resists and mordents included. Artists from disciplines other than printmaking who wish to work on a particular project using acrylic resist etching techniques can apply to work with Mark Graver at the Wharepuke Print Studio to produce a small edition of prints. We request that a print from the edition is donated to the gallery’s permanent collection.
Supervised/Independent Printmaking Residency
For artists with a proven experience of printmaking who are able to work independently after the induction.
At present this is available between Sep and May so not during the NZ winter months. Please note the discounted accommodation rate can only be offered between April and October.
- Induction day/s for copper and/or aluminium acrylic resist etching $360.00 per day (materials for induction supplied)
- Access to studio between 10am – 5pm – $20 per hour per person
- Materials (paper, metal) at cost
- Etching solutions, acrylic resist, inks included
- If 2 or 3 people book together the prices can be adjusted accordingly.
- 2 people $180 each for induction
- 3 + people $120 each for induction
Mark Graver is a practicing artist, tutor, curator and author of the Printmaking Handbook Non-Toxic Printmaking (2011) London, A&C Black.